Or “how long is a piece of string?”. With so many variables in content and functionality, no formula can be applied based simply on the size of the website. On the other hand, the size of the budget available is obviously going to affect the expectations and outcome. Therefore, we thought it would be useful to have some articles for clients and other interested parties about typical website costs.
- BBC website: £200 million (2010/11 figure)
- Typical corporation or large e-commerce website: £200k per year
- Typical local authority website: £100k per year
- Average budget for a London-based digital agency: £50k installation + £5k annual hosting
- Average medium-sized business spend on their website: £20k installation + £5k annual maintenance
- Typical spend for a small business: £5k installation + £2k annual maintenance
- Typical freelance designer’s fee for a small, simple website: £1k to build + £100 annual hosting
- DIY on a template: £50–£300 per year for hosting + DIYer’s time
Thameside Media on the price scale
As Thameside Media is based outside of Central London, we have relatively low overheads. This means we can offer competitively priced services for businesses and organisations looking for custom-built, media-rich websites.
We recommend the WordPress platform as the fastest way to build a website. With our expertise with WordPress customisation, coupled with high-quality hosting and ongoing security maintenance, we believe this platform is suitable for many types of websites, including e-commerce.
Also see our WordPress hosting and maintenance plans.